Project Description

Work to restore the car to non-operating original condition is in progress. At this time there is no intention to return the car to service. In June 2012 we were able to secure an original manual with the A-15 upgrades added from Tucson. Two copies were made and the original returned with our sincere thanks.

Prior to May 7, 2011, National Train Day, attempts were made to wash the car and clean it up. This effort met limited success due to the neglect and sun exposure over the years. It was opened for NTD.

After May 7, 2011, the doors were removed for resurfacing as they had badly delaminated.

In the fall of 2011, and continuing to the May 12, 2012 NTD, the exterior was cleaned using products made to restore color to paint and wax products to protect it. All work was hand done to save the paint. Other work was done on the roof to seal leaks.

Following this initial work, the unit could be evaluated for needed work and priorities considered. It was found that the entire sub-structure that holds the trolley pole and insulates the incoming electric service needed to be replaced. This assembly is constructed of wood and was badly rotted. This is priority #1.

The battery compartment was found to contain the four batteries which were long ago dead. They have been removed and sent to a recycler. The wood slide structure in the compartment has to be completely replaced and this will be the next priority. When completed, it is intended that a 110 volt conversion power supply will be installed to operate the 32 volt systems on board the car.

Repairs will continue as funds and manpower allow.


Historical Information and Photos

Designed by a group of transit operators, the “PCC” designation stands for “Presidents Conference Committee”.

Built by the Canadian Car and Foundry Division of the St. Louis Car Company for the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) under a 1950/1950 order.

Delivered to the TTC on March 7, 1951, the model A-8 was originally TTC # 4536. The car was removed from service for a rebuild after 1,087,799 miles, and was “out shopped” on February 14, 1990. It returned to service following an upgrade rebuild to a model A-15 and was renumbered to 4607.

4607 was operated by the TTC for another 63,773 miles (1,151,572 total miles). Removed from full active service in 1992, 4607 made its final revenue run on the 504 King Route, with the final stop at the Dundas West Station at 10:00 PM, December 8, 1995.

Through arrangements with the Halton County (Ontario) Radial Museum, 4607 was sold to the City of Phoenix in 1996 and two cars (4608 went to Tucson) were shipped to Arizona by flatbed rail service. The car was put on display at the Transportation Center in Phoenix where it remained until June 26, 2010 , when it was purchased by the Museum and delivered to the waiting track panel where it currently sits. The track panel was built by the volunteers and the car is isolated as it has a non-standard gauge of 4’ 10 7/8”.

PCC 4607 is 46’ in length, seats 46 and has a dry weight of 37,400 #. Normal Usage Load with standees totals 103 at 53,000# and lists a “crush” load of 134 passengers at 57,650#.

Power is supplied by 4 electric motors operating on 600 Volts DC. The motors are each rated at 48 HP/36 KW in continuous service; and 55 HP/41KW for 1 hour. Electrical supply is by overhead wire and a single arm.
 

Click on the photo to see a larger image.

Photo of trolley #4607 in Toronto on 6/24/90.

   
Photo of the trolley on display in downtown Phoenix 6/2010.
   
Photo of the trolley on display in downtown Phoenix 6/2010.
   
Photo of the trolley on display in downtown Phoenix 6/2010.
   
Trolley being delivered to ARM on 6/26/2010.
   

December 22, 2012

After much work and a weather delay, today the new power pole platform was hoisted on to the roof of the Trolley and bolted into place. The work was done with technical direction help from the Halton County Radial Railway Museum in Ontario, Canada.

Twenty bolts. Forty new holes. Everyone of them lined up without any alteration. Add to that the availability of a boom truck, and you have a very good day.

More work is being done on the roof area and this does not complete that part of the project. But it is a big step. Stay tuned as we report on the progress. Better yet, come out and be a part of the volunteer project. And if the roof is not the place for you, there is a lot to be done at the "lower level".

12/22/12 - Power pole platform in place. 12/22/12 - Close up view of power pole platform.

August 31, 2012

The wood sub-structure is in the process of being replaced and as of this date the reassembly is continuing. The plan is to complete the assembly on the ground and then lift it into place on the roof. The area where it is secured needs to be reconfigured due to broken and frozen bolts, and we are awaiting advice from the Halton County museum as to their experienced method.